• Substitute Teaching

    Substitute teachers are valued assets and play an integral role in the education of our students. The substitute teacher's posting will be opened on the EdJoin website.  

    How do I become a Substitute Teacher?

    • Become qualified. All substitute teachers must either possess a valid California teaching credential OR hold a bachelor's degree and have passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). 
    • Submit an online application via EdJoin.  
    • Monitor your email.  You will be contacted if selected to be a substitute teacher.


    The current daily rate of pay for substitute teaching is $155.  After the 15th consecutive day, the daily rate increases to $165 for a long-term substitute teacher with a clear credential.  


    Applicants for substitute teaching positions must submit the following:

    • A completed District Application on EdJoin
    • Copy of TB clearance (TB test or Risk Assessment)
    • Copy of CBEST Card
    • Copy of Credential or 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit
    • One letter of character recommendation from either a district you have previously worked for or your Master's Teacher
    • Fingerprints


    ***If you have been fingerprinted at the Fresno County Office of Education, please let us know.  Otherwise, a fingerprinting appointment must be made for you at the Fresno County Superintendent of Schools Office.


    Need a Substitute permit:

    Please refer to the resources available on the FCSS webpage.  Click on the following link  http://credentials.fcoe.org/new-california-educators. Specifically, click on the applicable links in the sections titled, “Substitute Teaching” and “Additional Resources”.  These links will walk you through a step-by-step process on how to obtain a substitute teaching permit.


    If you are interested in substitute teaching, call the Human Resources Department at (559) 834-6083 or send an email to: hr@fowlerusd.org.